Thursday, March 31, 2011

And the Journey Continues....

Well, March is over as of tomorrow, and I would like to tell you that I am now the perfect mother.....but that would be a lie. Do I still get frustrated by about 4:30pm...yes....do I still find my self snapping and loosing patience....yes. But on the positive note I have learned to take little moments to truly enjoy my children. For example, today Reagan and I played "lets run away from mommy, and then run back again" for about a half an hour. I loved listening to her laugh, she really thought it was the funniest thing. And yesterday I took the time to sit on the floor and play dinosaurs with Cameron. He has such an active imagination,that sometimes I truly believe that "his brain is bigger than his head".
So my lessons in motherhood will continue on in April, as the focus for this month is "have fun".
It sounds silly, but this is something that I truly struggle with, just letting go and having fun. I somehow got an extra large dose of the "responsibility gene". I feel like I can't let go and have fun unless all my work is done. And being a wife and a mother the work is never done! There are always dishes to wash, laundry to do and messes to clean up. But I have to ask myself, as my husband does on a regular basis, "why don't I like fun?"
I guess it is hard for me to see the value in fun...I have seen it as something that I can do without. I also see the "practical" side of fun, the mess that will have to be cleaned up afterwards, or the craziness of trying to catch up on the work that didn't get done while the fun was being had.
So this month, I am determined to cut loose and have fun. I want to get the feeling back that I had when I went sledding with Cameron a few months ago.
My plan of attack is to take a day a week and plan a fun activity for myself and the kids. I want to take Cameron to the Museum of Natural History, because I know he would love it and have at least 5000 questions! Depending on the weather I want to take the kids to a petting zoo.
I also want to take time to have fun myself, to do the things that I really enjoy, even if my house isn't perfect. I love scrapping, and am so far behind it isn't funny. I plan on taking my camera out and figuring out the new lenses I got for Christmas that I haven't used yet.
We shall see how this goes, I will be honest this is kind of a daunting task!

No comments:

Post a Comment