Monday, February 28, 2011

Week Three: With a Purpose

I have been doing alot of thinking about the idea of doing things with a purpose. As I was doing my Bible Study this morning the Lord really enforced that idea. The Scripture was I Corinthians 9:24-27
Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize. Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last, but we do it to get a crown that will last forever. Therefore I do not run like someone running aimlessly; I do not fight like a boxer beating the air. No, I strike a blow to my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize.
It came in the study I am doing on becoming the Proverbs 31 woman. I like this study, because even though I might not agree with everything the author states, it makes me think about areas in my life that I previously haven't spent time thinking about, and it makes me come to my own conclusions on the matter.
This morning the verses were used to point out the importance of increasing your physical strength, but for me, at this time in my life, it ment more than that.
Everything in my life, from the way I dress, to how I spend my time should have a purpose. I am not talking about a deep philosophical meaning for every action, but more practical. For example, I need to make sure that when I go shopping I actually need something and not just going to waste time, to get out of the house. There are many other ways to spend that time, if I need to get out of the house I have friends I can call, or I could take a walk with the kids. All of those choices are better, both for my state of mind and our finances!
The thing that I have discovered this month is that when it comes to being a better wife, I need to be a better person. This month has made me work on some things that I wouldn't have necessarily have worked on on my own. But between the study I am doing and some conversations with my husband I have made some changes for the better, and honestly I am ending February happier than I began it!

No comments:

Post a Comment